Freitag, 25. Februar 2011

What it's all about

For a few weeks now I have been writing my german blog Die West-Östliche Diva, where at first I attempted to write about this and that, mainly about day-to-day racism in both media and real life in Germany, about things that interest me such as books, films, public matters all dealing with multi-culturism (although I hate that term ...) and life as a third-culture-kid in general. Then came what started as the Jasmin Revolution. The brave people of Tunisia ousted their dictator. Only a few weeks later, Egypt followed, and we all know, how that ended. Ever since then, I have mostly been writing about this arab revolution, it's effect and portrayal in the german media and what my personal take is on these matters. Being an Arab myself and having a very, very strong bond with Egypt and Cairo in particular, it only felt natural for me to write about these things.
I got some very nice response to the blog, but a few non-german friends who can't or only just about read german, kept encouraging me to also write my posts in english. So here you are - it's not my fault, and please excuse my faulty spelling and grammar ...
After I gave it a thought or two, I now believe it's not a bad idea at all to start this english version of Die West-Östliche Diva. I won't be translating all my german posts and put them here, but some of them, and I intend to also write posts only for this space. I'm not a political correspondent, or ambassador of any kind, but I feel the world is ready for this very unique saudi-arab-german-multi-culture perspective on life and the world :) also, sometimes I feel I can think more clearly in english. Something to do with the fact that my now-spoken language - German - is only the third language I learned as a kid ... it was arabic and english long before that. But that's another story.
So here goes - enjoy this journey with me, I have no idea where it's going to lead us all! But let's hope it's going to be fun!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen